Date: Saturday, September 5
Time: 7:40am, roll at 7:55am
Location: Atascadero Zoo
Route: In the Shadows https://www.strava.com/routes/2736423057825641622
Distance: 59.7 miles, 3950 feet elevation gain
Ride Leader: Jonathan
We head out east on 41 to a left on Homestead, right on S El Pomar, up the Chicago Grade to Pomar Junction (stop 1 – 8.2 miles). We then take El Pomar all they way into Templeton, go right on Main, left on 1st, right on Old County, left on Las Tablas, right on Bennet, continue straight on Frontier, go left on Wild Oats, left on Herdsman to Bethel (stop 2 – 17.8 miles). We then go right on Bethel, left on 46, right Oakdale, right on Vineyard, right on Willow Creek, straight on Peachy Canyon, right on Vineyard, left on Adelaida to Tablas Creek Vineyards (stop 3 – 31.2 miles). We then head back to a right on Vineyard, left on Oakdale to 46 (stop 4 – 41.8 miles). Then go right on 46, left on Booker, left on Las Tablas, right on Bethel, and continue onto Santa Rita to the pavement’s end (stop 5 – 48.2 miles). We then head back to a right to stay on Santa Rita, to a right on Vineyard, right on HWY 101 S, wrap around to El Camino and head south all the way to a right on 41 back to the start (or stop on El Camino at Joe Bellas for a coffee).
- Endurance Group: Avg. speed 15-16 mph on hilly courses (over 3000ft of climbing). Avg. speed of 17-17.5 mph on flatter courses. Lead by Jonathan.
- Tempo Group: Avg. speed 17-18 mph on hilly courses (over 3000ft of climbing). Avg. speed of 18.5+ mph on flatter courses. Lead by those who show.
The Tempo group will depart first. If one starts with the Tempo group and finds it to be too fast, they can always drop back and ride with the Endurance group. The groups should seek to ride together, as a contiguous group, taking short pulls, and working together as much as possible. Let’s leave egos behind, and simply enjoy our time out on the bike.
• Upon arriving at the meeting point maintain a social distance of at least 6 feet between yourself and other riders.
• Ride in small gruppettos. Riders should form small groups of no more than 5 riders. So if 6 show, split into groups of 3 and 3 or 4 and 2 depending on desired pace. If a rider(s) joins mid-route and it brings the gruppetto total above 5, please separate into two gruppettos.
• Gruppetos will depart 2-3 minutes apart in descending order of speed.
• Maintain social distancing at stops along the route.
As always, participants ride at their own risk, but please utilize extra care and be socially responsible.