Date: Saturday, July 25
Time: 8:00am, roll at 8:05am
Location: Atascadero Zoo
Route: RockyCanyon-LaPanza CCW https://www.strava.com/routes/19539328
Distance: 60.3 miles, 3400 feet elevation gain
Ride Leader: Jonathan
We head out east on 41, to a right on Rocky Canyon, right across the dry riverbed onto Halcon, left on Viejo Camino, left on Santa Barbara, continue onto Los Palos, to a left on Santa Clara, right on Sandoval, left on EL Camino and left on 58 to Santa Margarita Park (stop 1- 13.2 miles). Continue on 58 and go left to stay on 58 all the way to LaPanza (stop 2 – 29.6 miles). We then head NW on LaPanza to Hwy 41 (stop 3 – 39.3 miles). We then cross 41 onto Creston Rd and take Creston Rd all the way to a left on Neal Spring and continue to River Rd (stop 4 – 48.6 miles). We then continue on Neal Spring, to a right on El Pomar, left on Templeton Rd, right on 41 and head back to the start.
Some riders may choose to bypass the left on Templeton Rd and continue straight onto Vineyard, to a left on Hwy 101, to the SanRamon-ElCamino loop around to head to JoeBella’s for coffee.
- Endurance Group: Avg. speed 15-16 mph on hilly courses (over 3000ft of climbing). Avg. speed of 17-17.5 mph on flatter courses. Lead by Jonathan.
- Tempo Group: Avg. speed 17-18 mph on hilly courses (over 3000ft of climbing). Avg. speed of 18.5+ mph on flatter courses. Lead by those who show.
The Tempo group will depart first. If one starts with the Tempo group and finds it to be too fast, they can always drop back and ride with the Endurance group. The groups should seek to ride together, as a contiguous group, taking short pulls, and working together as much as possible. Let’s leave egos behind, and simply enjoy our time out on the bike.
• Upon arriving at the meeting point maintain a social distance of at least 6 feet between yourself and other riders.
• Ride in small gruppettos. Riders should form small groups of no more than 5 riders. So if 6 show, split into groups of 3 and 3 or 4 and 2 depending on desired pace. If a rider(s) joins mid-route and it brings the gruppetto total above 5, please separate into two gruppettos.
• Gruppetos will depart 2-3 minutes apart in descending order of speed.
• Maintain social distancing at stops along the route.
As always, participants ride at their own risk, but please utilize extra care and be socially responsible.